The Samhita Sanskrit and Siddhanta department is an indispensable and elementary component of Ayurveda academia. This department imparts teaching and training of basic principles of Ayurveda, Ayurveda history, Ayurveda Darsana and Sanskrit language at the undergraduate level. The department of Samhita and Siddhanta primarily focuses on the study of Classical Literature, which forms the foundation for understanding, more specific aspects of Ayurveda.
The Department is also engaged in Fundamental research through, exploration and scientific validation of basic concepts of Ayurveda. The department handles five subjects, which fans throughout the course and deals with a large proportion of the curriculum. The subjects are:
|Sanskrit||First Year BAMS|
|Padartha Vidnyana and Ayurved Itihas||First Year BAMS|
|Moulik Siddhant and Ashtang Hrudayam||First Year BAMS|
|Charaka samhita (Poorvardham)||Second Year BAMS|
|Charaka samhita (Uttaraardham)||Third Year BAMS|
In our institution, we focus on nurturing the coming generations, to be proficient clinicians having in depth understanding in the basic principles of Ayurveda. In this respect, the department is actively involved in imbibing and disseminating traditional knowledge to satisfy the needs of the upcoming scientific community.
Vision & Mission
- To uphold the basic principles of Ayurveda.
- To motivate the scholars and empower them to Learn, Understand & validate, Practice and Preach Ayurveda.
- To propagate Ayurveda through Fundamental research in its basic concepts.
- DR Syamala K –Professor, PhD (Malayalam)
- Vd Sreepriya M, MD (Ay) – Asso. Professor & HOD
- Vd Rajkumar G MD (Ay) – Assistant Professor
- Charts & models
- Departmental Library
- Computer with internet Facilities
- Ashtanga Hrudayam Swadhyayam – a systematic and traditional method to study Ayurvedic texts.
We are regularly conducting Ashtanga Hrudayam Swadhayaya sessions.
- Small group learning – a scientific method to promote interaction and active learning among students.
This a weekly, guided interactive programme, aimed at inducting the students for applying the learned concepts.
- Sanskrit Shibiram – an introductory programme organised every year, to cultivate familiarity in Sanskrit language to the new students. This programme focuses on developing communication skills through Sanskrit and bring the students to a more comfortable learning atmosphere.
- Sanskrit Lab – The department is running a Sanskrit lab for improving Sanskrit language skill among the students. This is accomplished through literary exercises and different activities focusing on the grammatical aspect.
- Teacher’s Swadhyayam – Department of Samhita Sanskrit and Siddhanta is organizing a monthly swadhyayam session for the teaching faculty of our institution. The focus of swadhyayam is mainly Ashtamgahrudaya.
- Vakyaartha Sadas – Organised a Vakyaartha Sadas in Ayurveda on August 6, 2018. Based on the topic “Vridhih Samanair Sarvesham Vipareetair Viparyayah”. Adhyakshan – DR. K. P. Kaeshavan. Avataranam – Dr. K. Murali.
- Charaka Chintanam – Hosted a 3 day National Seminar (in collaboration with Departments of Kayachikitsa, Panchakarma and Roga Nidanam) – “Charaka Chintanam: A journey Through the Clinical Aspects of Charaka Samhitha.” on August 2-4, 2019. By. Vaidya. Anant Bhagavant Dharmadhikari & Vaidya Abhijeet Prakash Saraf.
- Ashtanga Hridaya Parayanam – covering the entire text, as a part of Karkataka Masaacharanam every year in July mid – August mid.